Friday, May 3, 2013

My Last Day


I truly had so much fun at St. Hallett.  Everyone had their own quirk and I will miss that.  After the other interns left I thought I was not going to have as much fun because the winery would be so empty and quiet, but I was wrong.  I still had a lot of fun with who was left.  

I am going to miss Bec a lot.  She was my lab manager.  We worked together 50 hours a week during vintage.  To work with someone that much and manage to not get on each others nerves is pretty awesome.  We would always have our coffee making breaks in the morning, sing to the radio that was turned up really loud, and gossip about whatever we could.  I will also miss Batesy who I was not able to work with too much, but when I did we had a lot of fun.  She was so friendly and her humor was awesome.  I would not always get what she was saying but my lack of understanding made it that much funnier in the end.  

Being in the lab, I did interact with the winemakers a bunch.  I would either be getting samples, doing some copper or acid trials, or analyzing wines for them. Shelley, moreorless the white winemaker, was always fun to chat with.  And her kid was ADORABLE.  Kat, the assistant winemaker, would come into the lab and chat too.  But she was also the lab manager before she became the assistant winemaker so she would also help us when shit got confusing and help "suss" it out.  Toby would always have us getting a bunch of samples for tastings or bleedings.  I didn't mind at all.  He was funny during vintage because most days you would see him walking around with wine all over his face.  It makes sense that the wine was on his mouth but sometimes you would see some splatters on his forehead or his cheek.  Brooke and I had fun laughing at that; like should we tell him, should we just let it go, and how the hell did that happen? Lastly, there was Jez.  He is the winemaker that let Carissa, Brooke and I stomp the grapes with our feet.  I interacted with him the most.  He is seriously the coolest person.  He would bring the lab lollies every now and again. I would give him crusher sample results.  It was a good relationship.  I will miss running around to find him, or trying to catch him as he biked past the lab to ask him a question or tell him something.  It was a constant game of catch the Jez.   

Oh St. Hallett.  I will miss you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment