Friday, May 3, 2013

Clare Wine Tasting


I work in the Barossa Valley, but that is not the only winemaking region in Australia.  Sure you knew that.  A few notable regions around here are the Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale and Clare.  The girls that I live with are always in Clare, may it be to go out or to play netball, so they took me to wine taste there.  

We started at Oleary's.  They had a 2013 Sauv Blanc already bottled and released…they released it the Thursday before easter.  Mind you, they picked those grapes in February, fermented the wine, filtered it, and bottled it.  Just wham bam thank you ma'am.  I was amazed.  And surprisingly it was good.  A little metallic right now, but that could be due to it being so young.  It will be great in a few months.  

Next was Annie's Lane.  Their famous wine is the Copper Trail.  I don't remember anything that really stood out which could be a good thing because nothing was revolting but also nothing was special. 

We stopped by Skillogalee for the sake of Sophie.  She applied for a cellar door position there and wanted to scope out the scene.  It is a very homey type tasting room.  You are literally in a kitchen.  All the wines are out on the table in the middle of the cozy kitchen and you just ask the pourer to pour what you want.  It was very laid back.  I remember I liked their gewurztraminer.  

Lunch, or more like dinner lunch, was at Stonebridge.  They had some good wines there, but even better was their pizza.  And even better than that was their dessert pizza!!!! NOM.COM!

Heaven
Last stop was Knappstein.  I was the one who chose this because St. Hallett holds some of their wine.  I have done many-a sulfurs on their Cab Merlot.  Their wine was also good, but what I liked the best was their beer.  It was a lager and it was kind of fruity and citrusy; Very refreshing after a long day of wine tasting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment