Monday, February 18, 2013

The Wrong Side Done Right

On Valentine's Day Carissa and I wanted to show the "arvo" shift some love, so we baked them some cookies! One challenge was how to get to and fro to bake the cookies and deliver them.  Thankfully, Kim was nice enough to lend us her car.  The next challenge was out of the 2 American's involved in the situation, who was going to drive.  I got my "international drivers permit" in America so I was ready to take on the challenge.

The first step was a but sketchy, but i got into the right side of the car. Next, putting the car in a gear.  I definitely stroked the door a few times looking for the shifter.  After I found the shifter, I had to find the gas pedal!! Wait, it was in the same spot. TRICKSTERS!!  I finally made it out onto the road and headed towards Nuri.  The biggest problem I had was that I had no idea how big the left side of the car was.  I had no concept of how far or close I was to parked cars or pedestrians or trees.  The next issue was turning into a driveway.  I had to stay on the left most lane to turn into the left most side. It makes sense when I say it like that, but in reality it is way more of a challenge.

I was very happy that Kim was able to trust me with her car.  I did not ding it and I was able to return it to her in perfect conditions.  Go me.

I FORGOT TO SAY: the blinker and windshield wipers are placed on the opposite side than in America.  So when I would want to turn left or right, I would signal via windshield wipers.  And if it were to rain, I am sure I would have taken the water off with the blinkers....

No comments:

Post a Comment