Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Old Fashion

We recently went to two shift days: morning shift 5:00am-3:00pm and avo (afternoon) 2:30-12:30.  This means that harvest is starting up and the winery is getting busier.  Today, was not that kind of day.  Today was a very relaxed, easy going, almost (but not because St. Hallett is awesome) boring.

Towards the end of my shift, the winemaker, Jeremy, came over and said I could get a chance to foot squash some grapes!! In my minimal years of winemaking, I have never gotten a chance so I was all for it.  More people than not at St. Hallett are scared to use their bare feet.  I guess 3 years ago they did foot stomping and ended up with yeast infections on their legs...eew.  I decided to go for it any way and squish away!!

The grapes were Tempranillo grapes that had been in a cold room for almost a week.  The grapes were VERY cold (feet=freezing) so hopefully the yeast were all asleep and not trying to infect me.  In the end we all had fun and felt like bad asses.


No comments:

Post a Comment