Monday, January 21, 2013

First Day


Most first days are a work place are full of paper work and rules.  St. Hallett was no different.  We sat around a table with a big folder of paper and had to fill out our information.  Being foreign makes it way more stressful.  They use weird words like "Next of Kin" to describe things.  I felt worse for the foreigners that are "english as a second language" because if I was having difficulties, I can't even imagine what was going on in their head.

After filling out paper work, we had a lecture about rules and history.  It made high school seem interesting.  I was fighting sleep the whole time.  I did not think I was going to have to do that after I graduated school, but I was proven wrong.  Apparently, there is a quiz on Wednesday to make sure we paid attention.  I would stress, but my theory is that the questions will be along the lines of "should you lie or tell the truth?", "should you bully or be nice?" etc.  

To excite the day, the staff cooked lunch for us.  We had steak sandwiches with egg, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, beets and BBQ sauce.  Can you say "NOM"?  

Naturally, after the fun part, we had to get lectured some more; save energy, save water, be good, etc.  

I bet you never saw this coming, but we actually got to have one last hoorah for the day, WINE TASTING!!  They poured us some St. Hallett wines and one of the winemakers was there to talk about all of them.  They ranged from white to red, sweet to dry, and still to bubbly.  I enjoyed seeing all the different styles they offered.  The main wine produced is Shiraz (Syrah).  Depending on the area in the Barossa the grapes are grown, the wine is reflective on that area.  I love being able to compare those differences because it really shows how wine is dependent on its environment.  Yes, there are certain characteristics that Shiraz has often, but that does not mean that every Shiraz is going to have them.  And the different ways the characteristics can be expressed is also interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment